Tom's NHL Hockey Blog
All the current issues in today's NHL!
- Jets’ Return for Laine Must Include Top Defenceman January 22, 2021The Patrik Laine trade rumours haven’t calmed down early on in the 2020-21 season, and neither has the hot takes on what a return might look like. As is common with theoretical trades, most are unrealistic or lateral moves. It’s hard to know what the return would look like if the Winnipeg Jets do decide […]
- Tomas Holmstrom’s Subtle Brilliance January 22, 2021The Detroit Red Wings were a team in flux at the start of the 1990s. At times labeled the “Dead Things,” they had not won a Stanley Cup since 1954-55 and had won just five playoff rounds over the previous 24 seasons. The team did make the postseason in 1990-91, but they bowed out to […]
- Maple Leafs’ Keefe Coy About Lines With Matthews & Thornton Out [Video] January 22, 2021The Toronto Maple Leafs are without two-thirds of the top-line for Friday’s rematch against the Edmonton Oilers. Auston Matthews left practise early yesterday and is listed as day-to-day. He will not play tonight. Joe Thornton left Wednesday game and is out at least four weeks with would be out after suffering a rib injury. Check […]
- Winnipeg Jets News & Rumors: Hellebuyck, Scheifele, Ehlers & Connor January 22, 2021Earlier this week after the Winnipeg Jets’ lost 3-1 to the Toronto Maple Leafs, I had mentioned that goalie Connor Hellebuyck wasn’t having his typical Vezina Trophy season. In retrospect, I might have spoken a few days too quickly before I landed on that conclusion. He’s been nothing but stellar in net since that game. […]
- Kings’ Anze Kopitar Still Has Trade Value, But Big Cap Hit Hurts January 22, 2021Anze Kopitar was selected 11th overall by the Los Angeles Kings in the 2005 draft, also known as the “Sidney Crosby Draft.” The pick worked out for the Kings, who won Stanley Cups in 2012 and 2014 with Kopitar as their top-line center. The Slovenian native has delivered a huge return on investment, but now […]
- Blue Jackets Held Back By John Tortorella’s Stubbornness January 22, 2021The Columbus Blue Jackets have become the NHL’s hottest soap opera featuring an epic standoff between Pierre-Luc Dubois and John Tortorella. Dubois wants out of Columbus. Tortorella is openly not happy about it, so a toxic environment has ensued. Fans want to blame Dubois for creating this situation, but Tortorella’s system and history tell another […]